Monday, March 12, 2007

decaf chai tea (life is beautiful)

Today feels like a pretty good day. At least right now it does.

I've been having trouble sleeping lately. I get into a half-sleep state after sleeping deeply for a few hours. In this state, I think about math endlessly. I'm not really aware of what I'm thinking about, but it has something to do with solving differential equations of all kinds, and my brain is intensely active although I'm not really conscious. It does prevent sound sleeping.

Today Erin brought me decaf chai which was very exciting. I haven't tasted chai tea because it has caffeine in it, so it was kind of monumental. Anyway, more on that later.

I'm beginning to really feel the senioritis. I'm not really sick of school. I don't mind going there and being a vegetable for hours. I don't mind listening to my teachers talk, really. But the moment they give me homework or tell me to actually do something, I get really annoyed. So I'm not sick of vegetating; I'm just sick of working.

Today was pretty good at facilitating my vegetation. In chemistry I was forced to work on science circus with my partner, Morgan M., but we didn't really do much. I'm not looking forward to science circus in two weeks, during which I will have to work for nine hours over the weekend in the gym at our high school making playdough or epoxy glue with little kids. Oh well. I loved it when I was younger. I might as well give it to the next generation. I still remember seeing my next door neighbor working at science circus when I was eight or so. She seemed so old to me then. Older people always seem ancient, but when I reach their age, I still feel very young (in some ways), and I don't feel like anyone looks at me with that sort of vague respect.

The rest of the morning was nice as well. In AP government we just watched a movie (although I have to start worrying about these three AP tests coming up in the beginning of May). In physics we walked to the Pattern House and drank coffee (or italian sodas for me) and talked more about science circus. Mrs. Mazanec was in a good mood in orchestra. English was entertaining as everyone got really into reading Death of a Salesman with terrible Boston accents (weird that I may be in Boston next year, surrounding by more authentic accents...). Math was difficult to come back to, but endurable (maybe it will shut up the nightly buzz of differential equations in my brain).

The most exciting thing about the day, however, was that I got my flights changed to go to Chicago next month (I had to change them because we scheduled them during solo/ensamble festival, which was mostly my fault). I thought that was going to cost me $100, which meant that next month I would be riding my bike a lot to conserve gas (which I was going to do anyway), and that I wouldn't be able to go shopping with Erin when we drive to Great Falls this weekend, which was somewhat upsetting.
I was on hold for 57 minutes last night trying to get them switched, and when we finally got ahold of someone they transferred me to a desk that closed at midnight eastern time, and that was at 10:05 p.m.
Today I went out to the airport after math, and they told me that actually we had to call American Express because it was a companion ticket, and that took a while, and when we finally got through to the people with power, they said it was going to be $215, which I couldn't afford. So I was kind of upset about not being able to change them, but then (miracle of miracles!) they found a way to do it for $100. And then they found out that they'd actually overcharged us for the first flights, so it only ended up being $3.00, which pretty much made my day.

Then I came home and drank my chai with two pieces of cinnamon toast and an apple, and life seems good right now, despite how busy March and April are for me, despite my incomplete independent project (I'm working on it!) and all of the solos I have to practice for tonight. Some things just make life seem alright.

No comments: