When I didn't break yesterday after I was somewhat expecting to, we talked a lot about whether it's better to be really close to something you really want, or to be a long ways away. Namely, four of the six people I debated broke, and the prospects for my number of ballots were rather grim. I was thinking about whether it would be worse if I had gotten two ballots or seven (one less than the required number to move on to double eliminations). I finally decided that although I would be really frustrated with getting seven ballots, it wouldn't be worse than getting two.
I went into rounds five and six yesterday pretty confidently. I was sure that I'd at least split round five, and I was almost 100% sure that I'd won both ballots for round six. From my estimates, I thought I probably had eight or nine ballots. I think I probably deserved eight. I didn't deserve any from the first round, but after that I think I did a lot better.
Amanda looked at the numbers of ballots today. I split the first round (got one ballot). I won the second round (two). I split the third round (one), won the fourth (two), split the fifth (one). So going into the sixth round, I had seven ballots. I only needed to split the sixth round, and so far I hadn't lost a single round. But of course I didn't know that at the time.
I was my usual self in the sixth round. I went fast; I read a lot of cards; I had a lot of evidence and examples. One of my judges didn't write anything down the whole time, but one, a former policy debater, was flowing. My opponant was spread in her rebuttal, and she didn't have time to address the majority of my points. Objectively, I think that I clearly won the debate on many fronts. There were many debates this tournament that I definitely didn't clearly win. But I think the two that I did clearly win were round two and round six.
But, alas, it doesn't work out that way, does it? The sixth round was the only round that I absolutely had to win at least one ballot, and it's the *only* round that I lost. It sucks.
I'm okay. I'll move on. Amanda got ten ballots at nats, and I got seven. All I wanted was to make her proud, and I think I was close enough to her ten ballots. I know I should have broken, but life doesn't work that way sometimes. For the first time, really, after a frustrating thing like this happening, I feel okay. My very last round of LD ever kind of sucked, and high school debate is over, but it's okay. Really.
All I can say is, those judges from sixth round had better have a dang good reason to drop me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I only managed 8 ballots both times I was there...so you really have nothing to be ashamed of in terms of your performance. Montana debaters generally aren't competitive at nats (or Idaho ones for that matter since that's the state I debated "for" at nats), and the fact that you were competitive is something to be proud of. I remember other Idaho debaters at nats that would only get 1 or 2 ballots. There was a kid my senior year that didn't get a single one.
But that aside, ballot count shouldn't be what we all focus on. Yeah, it's cool to think about it and even cooler when we break. It is frustrating when your career ends on a round you're sure you've won. Both my high school and college careers ended on rounds I thought I'd won. In college, my debate partner and I went down on a 3-2 split decision a few outrounds in. We knew it was going to be close, but I thought we had pulled it off (especially considering the fact that the other team look so worried out in the hallway while we were waiting for the decision). When I heard that we had lost, and even "worse" on such a close decision, I wasn't sure what I felt. I'm not sure if that's where you're at right now, but if it is, then it's totally normal to feel that way. Looking back on it now (it was a year ago), I can still remember the disappointment at being *so* close yet so far away...had we won we would've made it into the round of the top 16 individual teams in the country. Instead we lost at the round of the top 32 individual teams. Not something to be ashamed of for sure, but still a nagging thought of just how close we were.
Point being, we all experience these moments. Being able to walk away from it saying "yeah, this sucks but I'm okay" is definitely a foreshadowing of good things to come. I can look back on debate and smile with no reservations, and I think you'll be able to do so as well. Not to mention...MIT is calling your name! ;)
yeah, that is how i feel. i feel really frustrated, and i know i just need to let go of it. being from montana, and having absolutely no experience on the national or TOC circuit really doens't help.
someone from idaho last year got fourteenth or something we saw online. but for the most part, our region isn't spectacular.
the other girl from montana got three ballots.
i wish i could have had a practice nationals. :-)
Post a Comment