Sunday, May 21, 2006

I have been a hundred times on the point of killing myself, but still was fond of life. This ridiculous weakness is perhaps one of our worst instincts. What can be more absurd than choosing to carry a burden that one really wants to throw to the ground? To detest, and yet to strive to preserve our existence? To caress the serpent that devours us, and hug him close to our bosoms til he has gnawed into our hearts?
-Candide, Volataire

I am really enjoying this book, as it is hilariously cynical and satirical of many forms of ridiculous optimism, but this fragment, although embedded of course in the sarcastically horrible story of an old woman, sort of grabbed me. I wonder if it really is the worst of our instincts, or the best?

I wish sometimes that I could just be stone, just sink to the bottom and settle there to grow a film of dust; the resillience in me is annoying; something in me always bounces. I'm bipolar. I can be depressed for days, weeks, months, but there are always bounces, always moments when I am flung back into the sky.

My parents have been yelling all day at each other and me. My father threw something at my mom and she told him that if she gotten take out of the home for being abusive then we needed to accuse him of being abusive too. It wasn't quite the ideal birthday. I don't want my family to be like this when I'm older.

I am happy, but in a cynical, lost way. I find a horrible emptiness in happiness, a void that depression fills but happiness ignores. But I'm taking the pills again, prescribed and others... I do care about life, still. Even if it is the worst of instincts and the serpent devours me, you are all right, there is hope, there is a way.

6 comments:

Ashlee Liddell said...

If you lived anywhere in the state of Texas I would take it upon myself to drive and find you. To bring lots of balloons, party hats, and confetti (and cake, the kind with sugar!) and we would celebrate YOUR life. Your generous and compassionate heart, your wise, thinking mind; your hunger for injustices to be righted by true justice, and that heart that has such a depth for loving others (even those who don't deserve it). I would make sure you laughed until your sides hurt...and most importantly, no one who was unkind would be allowed near you.
Lindsay, my precious friend, it breaks my life you have experienced a life so unprotected from the cruelty of the world. My prayer is that this new year of your life will be full of hope, health, and true joy.

view_from_the_fishbowl said...

that book is also one of my favorites.

'for what purpose was the world created?... to drive us mad.'

Tmproff said...

I am reading a book right now called "Sophie's World" by Jostein Gaarder. If you haven't read this one, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. When I got it for my birthday this past weekend, I actually thought of you Lindsay...it is a book that will possibly change your life. It's about a 15 yr old young woman that is introduced to the world of philosopy from a mysterious anonymous teacher.

Lindsay said...

:-) thanks all of you.

i read that book last summer, and i thought that it was a really good overview of philosophy (although i don't think that the way sophie acted was really true to a fifteen-year-old), and it didn't change the way i thought about a lot of things. i really enjoyed it. it was much easier than reading every work by all those philosophers.

lol, you do know me, though, to recommend that, as it is definitely my kind of book.

Tmproff said...

Lindsay,
I totally agree that sophie didn't act like a 15 yr old girl. I'm about half way through the book, and it's pretty obvious how the author is taking quite a few liberties with how she should act.
I think the overview of the philosophy is important, but I think it's more important how the author is linking it all together to make one huge idea.

Lindsay said...

i hadn't even thought about it that way- but you're right. it is quite a feat to take a bunch of philosophies and unite them, one i would, as a gut reaction, think was impossible.