Sunday, January 30, 2005

Hypocrisy and the woes of being a girl

I was at church today, and Dana and I were talking about this girl we know at school, and apparently she's been talking a lot to Dana, and she cuts now.
"Yeah," I said even as my own watch slipped, revealing to me the slash across my wrist, "You'd better get her help."
And I'm wondering... is hypocrisy just as great of a sin if you know and accept it as it is if you are ignorant?

I really feel like cutting now, and I think I will. Like I told Terry, the times I do cut, I don't think about it, it's just a compulsion, and I obey it because I have to. Then again, Amanda would argue that I don't really have to, that I still have control. And I know that up until the time I do it, it doesn't have to happen. Just like up until the time I swallowed those laxatives this afternoon, I could have stopped it, and now I may pay dearly for it if they don't go through my system before gym tomorrow.
So I really have some bad cramps right now and they hurt... not from the laxatives, just from being a girl.
One of the great conundrums of life: why the heck do they wrap pads in really loud, crinkly wrappers? That's just about discreet in a crowded bathroom as setting off an atomic bomb. It's so stupid. Tampons are way quiter... why can't they just change the wrappers on pads? Just a few of the things I hate about being a girl...
You know I've realized I never really get PMS. I'm not sure why, because I used to, back in like seventh and eigth grade right after I first got my period. But now I know my body really well, and know exactly when to expect it, but not because of my mood, just because it comes at regular intervals. I guess I should just be glad I don't get it. As for cramps, I still get those obviously, but only occasionally really bad ones, and I'm always too embarrassed to ask my mom to buy me some Midol or something. Let me tell you though it sucks to have to like run in gym when you have them.
I hate my body. I'd be so much more comfortable and confident in myself if I could just exist as some mass of spirit, without the flesh. But I guess I'm stuck with it, scars, fat and all.
As for the debate of who has it easier, guys or girls, I definitely vote for guys. What's a few embarrassing dreams and such compared to pain and having your period every month?

No comments: