So today was the science olympiad competition.
This will be my new motto: "I failed the science olympiad astronomy test and all I got was a crappy NASA sticker."
:-) although the sticker looks good on my calculator.
ANYWAY... as you can tell the test did not go well. I got 10th out of 32, but I got really messed up because it was mostly astrophysics, and using spectrometer parallax to find the distance to stars doesn't work when you can't figure out how to apply the formula. I knew it was (M-m)log5^d-10 or something, and I could figure out m (the apparent magnitude), but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to use my Hertsprung-Russell Diagram to find the absolute magnitude so I could compute the log. I didn't really prepare well enough on the math stuff, I was mainly memorizing random white dwarfs and supernovas in the universe, so it sucked. And my wonderful, dependable partner dropped out this week for no apparent reason, so I was one of the very few people taking the test alone.
Needless to say I am actually pretty impressed with myself for getting 10th. When the question is "If the Sun suddenly turned into a blackhole of equal mass, how would it affect earth's orbit and how long would it take people on Earth to notice the change?" and you write (for lack of anything more insightful) "it would warp the orbit and the people would notice pretty soon because they'd all get sucked in and die." Which obviously included the exact measurements of time and orbit warp they wanted.
WELL... we'll just forget about the whole horrid ideal. Next year I may break down and actually study.
So I was stuck at MSU with nothing to do from 9-1 and 2-3, because I wasn't double entered like most kids were. I kind of overdosed on Thoreau's bean fields so I wandered down to the bookstore. I went to the philosophy section. I found some book by Nietzsche (Midnight of the Idols or something) and just sat in the bookstore reading it for two and a half hours. It was really entertaining. I didn't really agree with what he was saying, but he said Socrates was an erotic, crazed man who deluded the world with dialectualism and only had influence because he was an ugly tyrant. That made me smile. And then he went on this long rant about Kant, that was fun. The only person he didn't degrade was Heraclitus, and Democritus to some extent. He was saying that philosophy is slowly leading people away from the truth instead of towards it (of course this is all Socrates's fault) and that God is the culmination of all of our delusions. He had this list that carefully spelled out how people managed to get all deluded.
Yeah, well, I don't really agree with what he was saying in those essay things, but it was entertaining.
Anyway, Susan and Katie found me in a corner of the bookstore surrounded in astrophysics and philosophy books laughing at Nietzsche. They asked me what I was reading and when I told them they sort of stared at all the books around me and stared at me.
I couldn't help but smile inwardly. Imagine how much of a geek I must look, there at science olympiad taking an astrophysics test reading Nietzsche in my spare time.
EDIT: (10:00 p.m.) now do I win the award for the geekiest day ever? Because after all of that, I just spent two and a half hours playing Final Fantasy X (go blitzball!). I'd say that's the cherry on the cake. ;-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Imagine how much of a geek I must look, there at science olympiad taking an astrophysics test reading Nietzsche in my spare time.
You said it. :)
Just kidding. Geeks rawk! I should know.
If the Sun suddenly turned into a blackhole of equal mass, how would it affect earth's orbit and how long would it take people on Earth to notice the change?"
If the black hole and the sun were equal mass, than it wouldn't effect the orbit of the earth at all would it? Mass constitutes gravitational pull. Now how long would it take for earth to notice? Well about 8 mins due to the fact that everything turns dark :)
Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I think that was a trick question.
oh my gosh i'm an idiot... of course it would take 8 minutes...
not sure about the gravity thing, whether it applies to black holes or not, but wow, yeah, i shouldn't have gotten the time thing. oh well.
The difference between the sun and the black hole would be density. A black hole with the same mass as our sun would only be about 3 km across.
Even though photons theoretically have 0 mass, they are affected by gravity...and a BIG blackhole would have an indescribable amount of gravitational pull, thus black holes have 0 percent reflectability.. that's why they're so darn hard to find :O
Have a great Thanksgiving Lindsay.
Post a Comment